How to Hang a Wallpaper Border
Hanging a wallpaper border can seem like an impossible task. How do you handle a long strip of wallpaper without creating a crumpled, sticky mess? This step-by-step instructional demonstrates the accordion folding method—a tried-and-tested way to install a wallpaper border.
Also called “booking,” the accordion folding method involves pasting and gently folding a long strip of wallpaper into sections before hanging. This technique makes adding a wallpaper border easier. It also activates the adhesive glue and helps keep the paper moist.
Prepping the Wallpaper
- Measure the wall to determine the length of wallpaper you’ll need for the border.
- Cut a piece of wallpaper to the length you need, plus a little extra to extend beyond the corners.
- Reverse-roll the cut wallpaper border into a loose tube with the adhesive side facing outwards.
- Roll out about two feet of the wallpaper border onto a table, then apply paste to it using a paint roller.
- Gently fold the pasted paper together in an accordion style.
- Roll out another section of wallpaper and repeat the process until you’ve pasted and folded the entire length of the border.
Hanging the Wallpaper
- Unfold a section of the wallpaper and apply it to the wall, starting in the corner of the room that is least visible.
- Making sure the paper is properly aligned, use a wallpaper brush to flatten and smooth out wrinkles and bubbles.
- Continue to unfold the wallpaper border, smoothing it onto the wall until you reach the next corner.
- Continue this process around the entire room.
Pro tip: If one corner of the room curves outward (like the room in this video demonstration), measure out a continuous length of wallpaper to cover both walls.
Choose a Quality Wallpaper Adhesive
ROMAN offers a wide variety of wallpaper adhesives for every type of project. Each kind of wallpaper glue has its own uses and benefits. Some are designed to strip easily when it’s time to redecorate. Others are formulated to hang heavyweight materials, like wall carpets.
Do you want to be able to easily swap out your wallpaper to keep up with design trends? Are you hanging a lightweight wallpaper or a heavy material, like wood veneers? Before choosing a wallpaper adhesive, determine which features are most important for your project.
Check out our other how-to videos, which cover a variety of topics, including how to hang in a corner, how to remove a wallpaper border, and more. Also check out our quality wallpaper remover products.