ROMAN offers a wide variety of wallpaper adhesives for every type of project. Choosing the correct adhesive for the job can be difficult for even the most experienced professional installer.
Each kind of wallpaper glue offers a different set of features and benefits. Some are designed to strip easily when it’s time to redecorate. Others are formulated to hang heavyweight materials like wall carpets and wood veneers.
Understanding what features are most important for your project will help you make an educated choice.
WHICH ADHESIVE IS RIGHT FOR MY WALLCOVERING?
First, check if the wallcovering manufacturer recommends a particular type of wallpaper paste. Clear wallpaper adhesives are better for some jobs, while clay wallpaper adhesives or specialty adhesives are better for others.
Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when available. Then consider what features are most important for your project. Some examples of the questions we ask, and the recommended pastes are listed below.
- Does the wallpaper need to strip easily when it’s time to redecorate?
- Is this a heavyweight wallcovering that needs a heavy-duty adhesive?
- Is sustainability and indoor air quality of top importance?
Still not sure which wallpaper paste is right for your job? Feel free to Contact Us with any questions you have. Also, be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to some of our more common questions. We are happy to help make sure your installation is a success.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF WALLPAPER ADHESIVE
There are three main types of wallpaper adhesive. Each one has its specific uses and benefits.
Clear Adhesives – Clear wallpaper adhesives are ideal for vinyl and vinyl-coated wallpapers, grasscloths, non-woven wallpapers, bamboo, silks, and even delicate pulp papers. Clear adhesives provide exceptional tack, extended open-time, and clean up easily with water. They can be applied with a paint roller, brush, or pasting machine.
Clay Adhesives – Clay wallpaper adhesives are ideal for commercial-weight wallcoverings, vinyl and vinyl-coated wallcoverings, anaglypta, and wood veneers. Formulated with natural clay, these low-moisture, high-tack adhesives are best suited for medium-weight to heavyweight materials.
Specialty Adhesives – Specialty adhesives are specifically formulated to tackle a variety of unique wallpaper installation problems, from repairing loose or open wallpaper seams to working with sealed, painted surfaces.
Wallpaper Terms to Know
- Strippable adhesives are formulated to make removal easier, with less damage. These adhesives are designed to dry with tiny fracture points that allow the wallcovering to strip from the wall without tearing the underlying drywall.
- Open-time describes how much working time is available until the paste dries out. A long open-time allows for multiple adjustments and repositioning.
- Tack describes the initial stickiness of an adhesive. Wallcovering pastes with high wet-tack are ideal for installing heavier weight wallcoverings.
- Slip describes the ability to slide a wallcovering into position. All of ROMAN’s wallcovering adhesives promote slip, allowing for easier pattern matching.
Be confident with your adhesive selection, go with the pros and choose ROMAN, the No. 1 Contractor Brand.
WHY CHOOSE ROMAN PRODUCTS?
Be confident with your adhesive selection—go with the pros and choose ROMAN, the No. 1 contractor brand.
At ROMAN Products, we take a customer-centric approach. Whether you’re a professional wallcovering installer or a DIYer, we know you need products you can trust.
We’ve been making wallcovering glue products for more than 75 years. Our company pioneered some of the first pre-mixed wallpaper paste products, opening up a world of possibilities for professionals and novices alike.
We continue to create innovative, high-performance products for homeowners, contractors, and professional wallpaper installers and are constantly evolving to meet the needs of our customers.
Our products are top-rated by wallcovering professionals and contractors because they offer a more effective bond for all types of wallcoverings.
Whether you’re a homeowner working on a DIY project at home or a contractor who needs durable, long-lasting commercial grade products you can trust, ROMAN’s adhesives, primers, removers, and wallcovering tools are tried and true for helping you achieve better results.