Following current trends like Contemporary Country or Rustic Vogue is easy now with either paint or wallpaper, and many of these interior looks can be achieved by the DIYer. For those less inclined to be hands-on, professional help is always available to bring your dreams to life!
Paint and wallpaper each bring a new look to your home in a relatively short period, but there are distinct pros and cons to each. Some things to think about are:
- How easy is it to install?
- What will my total costs be?
- Which is easier to work with in my overall design scheme?
Pros and Cons of Painting
Painting is an ideal DIY project for most people. It seems like everyone has painted something, so they feel qualified and confident enough to tackle most small projects. Almost every home center in the country carries a wide variety of paints, and there are plenty of videos available to teach the novice how to get started. Unfortunately, there are some elements of painting that can prove disastrous if proper care and preparation are not observed.
Pros of Painting (Residential and Commercial)
- Painting is an easy way to give a wall a fresh new look.
- Paint is readily available, and if you are on a budget, there are contractor-grade paints for $20 a gallon as well as designer level options for more than $100 a gallon. Five-gallon buckets are also available in most colors for bigger commercial projects.
- For a single color application or simple stripe designs, a novice can produce a finished design that will look very satisfactory.
- Small projects can usually be completed in the course of a weekend or less.
- Prep work is simple, though it can sometimes take as long as the actual painting.
- Tools are easy to find and purchase (but ladders are expensive).
- If you mess the job up, it is relatively easy to paint over the mistake.
Cons of Painting (Residential and Commercial)
- Tall walls and ceilings are difficult to reach and if you are afraid of heights, they may not be able to be finished by you (which would require the hiring of a professional for the entire job).
- You must cover everything that cannot be touched by the paint. When you use a roller, small droplets spray off the roller and make a mess on everything in the surrounding area.
- To get the best results, the walls need to be free of damage and dust.
- Extra care needs to be taken when handling paint. Even spilling a quart of paint onto an area that is not properly protected can ruin the floor or whatever surface it lands on.
- “Cutting in” the edges of walls and ceilings, floors, and trim is time-consuming and requires a good eye and steady hand or you can end up with uneven lines throughout the room.
- For the best results, window and door trim, base, and crown moldings that are not to be the same color as the walls will need to be taped off. This can take hours or days, depending on the size of the job.
- If you are painting over a dark color with a lighter color, it may take two or more coats to completely cover the underlying paint. This can be true even if the paint is marketed as a one-coat application product.
- Complex design patterns are not well-suited for the DIYer.
- Paint scratches and chips easily, and matching color after a few years can be almost impossible.
Pros and Cons of Wallpapering
Modern wallpaper has been around since 1675. Centuries of experimentation and improvement have made wallpaper the choice of royalty as well as the everyday homeowner. One reason for its lasting popularity is its unique ability to transform an environment with a level of beauty and character unmatched by paint. However, in many cases it is an expensive investment requiring professional installation.
Pros of Wallpapering (Residential and Commercial)
- Wallpaper can last for years with only minor maintenance. Paint usually needs refreshing and touching up every few years due to scuffs and scrapes from regular wear and tear. Wallpaper can maintain its original beauty without constant touch-ups.
- Though more expensive initially, wallpaper pays for itself over the years because it is a once and done project.
- It can help improve the look of poor quality walls without the added effort and cost associated with extensive drywall repairs. Textured and embossed wallpapers can be used to cover and disguise minor imperfections.
- Wallpaper is versatile. It can be used to cover an entire wall, as a border, or it can be used inside shelving areas as an accent. It even makes a unique decoration when placed inside a picture frame.
- Easy to maintain. Many wallcoverings are sealed with a durable coating allowing for easy cleaning with a vacuum, brush, or damp cloth.. If you have children in the house, this can be a big time saver.
- Wallpaper adds a “wow” factor to any room. For residential use, wallpaper adds personality to a room with the choice of various textures, designs, colors, and materials – so it can dramatically complement any theme.
- For commercial installations, wallpaper is more durable than paint, making it easier to maintain. Also, when installed by a professional, wallpaper applies much faster than paint.
Cons of Wallpapering (Residential and Commercial)
- It has a higher upfront cost. This is true of most high-value products. The savings are realized by not having to replace it so often, compared with paint.
- When installed without the proper prep work, it can be difficult to remove. However, with the wide selection of professional wallpaper installation and removal products available from America’s #1 preferred brand, ROMAN Products, this task becomes simple and fast.
- DIY installation mistakes can be costly. If you are only installing a roll or two in a hallway or on an accent wall, it might be okay to make it a DIY project. However, if you are wallpapering a large or complex area, you will want to invest in a professional with good references. They do it for a living and know which ROMAN Products will give the longest-lasting results.
- Wallpaper can be affected by high humidity, so you need to choose the proper product for the area you are covering – another reason to hire a qualified professional.
Upgrade your Walls with ROMAN
No matter which direction you choose to go, ROMAN has your back. Remove wallpaper with ease to get started painting or install new wallpaper with the best installation tools available.